Directions to the White Mountains from the Philadelphia Area
1. Get to Hartford Conn.
- PA Turnpike to NJ Turnpike / Parkway North.
- I-287 across Tappan Zee Bridge.
- North on I-684.
- East on I-84 to Harford.
2. North on I-91 through to Vermont and all the way to US302.
From there you have two options:
- Continue North on I-91 until the merge with I-93.
- SOUTH on I-93 to exit 40 (US-302).
- EAST on US-302 through Bethlehem Junction and Twin Mountain,
through the Crawford Notch and past the Willey House.
- The Country Inn at Bartlett will be on your RIGHT before you
get to downtown Bartlett.
- Get off of I-91 at US-302 (exit 17) and go EAST towards NH.
- Go across the connecticuit river and through the town of Woodsville.
- Continue on US302 for only a short way until NH-112.
- Follow NH-112 EAST towards North Woodstock and Lincoln.
- Cross I-93 and continue EAST. You are now on the Kancamagus Highway.
- Go acros the Kancamagus Pass (2890 feet) and down the other side.
- At the "town" of passaconaway the Bear Notch Road will be on your left.
- TURN LEFT (north) onto the Bear Notch Road. (Closed in Winter).
- Follow this Bear Notch Road across the hills and soon you will come down hill into the town of Barlett.
- At the blinking red/yellow light (US-302) turn LEFT (west).
- The Country Inn at Bartlett will be on your LEFT just past the main part of town.
3. Once you are at the Inn, the starting point for the trail is EAST on US302,
then NORTH on route 16 to Pinkham Notch. Park there and follow the directions on the
previous page (press BACK on your browser to go back to the Bob Walker page).